Thursday, August 19, 2010

Helpful

Yesterday I was mowing the yard when Rachael popped out the door and said:

"Mom, the plant that I watered is still bubbling."

I didn't even have the vaguest idea what she was talking about.
When I came back inside, she showed me that she had watered the plant on the table, and that air bubbles were still rising from the soil.  (This plant is completely contained - it doesn't have anywhere for excess water to go, hence the air bubbles). It had spilled a little on the table runner, but otherwise it was OK.  I placed the plant in the sink to avoid any other problems.  

Then, the second bombshell:

"Well, that was the only plant with bubbles."

You know it, she watered the other four plants around the house.  One by the sink which didn't have any problems.  One on TOP of the computer cabinet, which also watered one of the cameras.  (No damage there, thankfully). One on the end table in the living room, which also watered a book and of course the top of the cherry table.  And one on top of the coffee table in the living room, which also watered the tabletop, some fantastic hardanger embroidery done by my mother, and a beautiful book on temples.  Fortunately nothing was permanently damaged, but I was nearly in tears over the cleanup and potential for disaster.

Then I thought to myself, one day I might even laugh about this.  And that day might even be today.

(Oh, and then we got a new rule.  No watering the plants without asking Mommy first.)

No comments: