Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cutting the Cord

We have gone wireless.  Cut the cord.  Joined kids half our age who only have cell phones.  (Well, maybe three-quarters of our age).

PROS:
-It leaves a phone at home for a babysitter if we both have our phones with us.
-We were able to "port" our home number to a cell phone.  This saves me from calling the school, doctors' offices, and anyone else with our home number, because the number still works and dials a phone at our house.
-The cost.  The phone, with caller ID and long distance, was about $40 a month.  The cell phone is an additional $10 on our wireless bill.
- The convenience.  I can be on the phone and go anywhere.  Literally.
-Voicemail.  Now if I'm on the phone and someone else calls, they can leave a message.
-And don't you love this cute red phone??

CONS:
-Power outs.  A regular phone does not need power, but the cell phone will eventually need to be charged.  (Short term solution: charge in the car with the power inverter, long-term fix will be when we buy a generator.)
-One phone.  If I'm upstairs and the phone rings downstairs, odds are I won't make it before it rolls to voicemail.  Not that I won't still try to sprint down the stairs.
-911.  It's harder for emergency responders to find you on a cell phone than a home phone.

As a bonus we got a deal on our DSL for the next year.  Life is a (wireless) bed of roses!

No comments: