Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween 2011

Friday

Trunk or Treat!

I nominated myself to be in charge of the Trunk or Treat this year.  I decided I wanted to have the activity so badly enough to want to do the planning.  And cleanup.  I should quit having good ideas.  

I thought it went really well in spite of my lack of real leadership.  We had over 100 people come - I know because we ran out of room at the tables, which were set for 96! - and lots of food.  I worried for the week leading up to the activity that tons of people would show up but with no food, but it was completely unwarranted because we had 15 different pots of chili arrive. I didn't get to try them all; but I didn't get heartburn either.  Rachael was Hermione Granger and since Ryan wasn't home yet I wore his Jedi costume.   

Madi, Rachael and Mikayla
Because of the rain we had to trick or treat around the building.  My apologies to anyone who had awesome trunk decorations... I guess my request for good weather was lost in the system.  I had the kids play a game of lightsaber limbo while the adults found places to hand out candy, then I turned them loose.  Rachael's friend Madi came with her parents and brother, so thankfully Rach was able to trick-or-treat around the building with them.  I think everyone had fun.  We sure did!


Saturday

We picked up Ryan at the airport on Saturday afternoon.  Hooray! We stopped at Kelley Farms to pick up a couple of pumpkins for carving and headed home.

Sunday

We carved up our pumpkins.  Ryan and I chose a traditional orange pumpkin with a geeky pi design and Rachael chose a white pumpkin with a cat design.  (Ryan had some serious jet lag going - we decided we could probably share one).  Rachael scraped out nearly all of her pumpkin herself.  She was not very excited about that part.  She loves the cat cutout though! 

Monday


Halloween! We invited some friends  over for dinner and so that Rachael could trick-or-treat with her friend Jackson.  Since Ryan still wasn't feeling well he took the job of handing out the candy this year and I got to take the trick-or-treaters out around the neighborhood.  We saw lots of great costumes and several well decorated houses too.  The weather was a little cool but not bad for wandering the neighborhood.  Jackson asked if I was going to wear my costume, so I went as a Jedi again.  When we got home I got out the real lightsaber and we made a few more new friends that came to the house to check out a real lightsaber in action.
Thanks to all our friends who helped make our Halloween weekend so much fun!

No comments: