Friday, February 12, 2010

Flashback Friday

Flashback Friday - Birthday Cake edition

Rachael's 1st Birthday, 2006
Red velvet cake with chocolate frosting
(In retrospect, the red velvet cake was a bad idea...
by the time she was finished decimating the cake,
it looked like someone had punched her in the nose.
Lesson learned.)


Rachael's 2nd Birthday, 2007
Cupcakes!
(and a 2. which was seriously her favorite part.)


Rachael's 3rd Birthday, 2008
The Cinderella Cake
(Our neighbor, Jason, made this for Rachael. It was truly
amazing and I'm sure I will never top this one.)


Rachael's 3rd Birthday - Birthday party cake
(This is the sandcastle cake mold. It worked out okay.)


Rachael's 4th Birthday, 2009
The Barbie cake
(Have you noticed these cakes keep getting more ambitious?
Just wait.)


Rachael's 4th Birthday at home
The (pink) Darth Vader cake
(She got two birthdays again in 2009; one at Nana's house,
and one at home. Ryan was suppose to be in China for her
birthday but at the last minute his trip was canceled. Since
ours was already planned, we went anyway. So we celebrated twice.
And I'm hoping no one ever wants another Darth Vader cake.)


This year's ambition: a pink and purple castle cake.
Yeah, OK.
(And she's not getting two cakes this year. This one is it.)

I just want to point out the blatant lie on the front of the package, that says "32 Piece Set! Everything you need to create a dream castle cake!" Aside from the cake mix, frosting, and sprinkles, which you obviously need; I also had to buy cake pans (OK, I already had the 6 inch, but still), doweling (for cake support), and candy melts. The box should say, "Everything you need to convert and already existing beautiful stacked cake into a castle - with just 20 hours of extra work!"

We start Monday.

3 comments:

Erica said...

Holy cow!! Good luck- I am a store buying cake mom. :)

Gina said...

Super super cute! Can't wait to see how this year's cake turns out... good luck and Happy Birthday Rachael!

Lorie said...

It's the same kit I used for braden's "good knight castle" cake last year. Lots of work but super cute! Can't wait to see how it turns out!