Rachael came into my room this morning and the first thing she said was, "School is going to be canceled today, Mommy."
"How do you know?"
"Because it's snowing."
She was right, we had a couple of inches of snow, and school was indeed canceled for the day. (Nevermind that the snow melted off the roads by 11 am. This is Kentucky. We shut down for any amount of snow.) Rachael was a little sad about preschool being canceled, but cheered up considerably after breakfast when we found a workbook she could complete. This led to an entire morning of "preschool" at home.
At-home pretend preschool is brought to you today by Mommy, the letter Q and a special appearance by Winnie-the-Pooh.
Also I would like to note here that I encouraged her to get dressed first but she declared that if we were having preschool at home she could just as easily do it in her pajamas. I didn't have a response prepared for that argument, so pajamas it was.
First class: Homeroom. We practiced writing the letter Q. (I printed a worksheet from the internet.)
Next class: Kitchen Class. We made Q toast.
Next class: Kindergarten Skills. Enter the workbook, which was all about numbers and had a cutting activity at the end.
Next: Gym Class. We did some Quick sprints. (Actually, we ended up running in place, because she didn't want to run around through the "preschool," aka the house.)
Then: Music class. We learned the song, "Quickly I'll Obey." Rachael was annoyed that I didn't know any preschool songs. I thought an entire book of Primary songs was great, but I guess not.
Followed by: Art class. We made scrap Quilts
Next: Bible class. We read the story in the New Testament about Jesus calming - or Quieting - the sea. (No picture, as I was busy reading bible stories.)
Usually at this point in the day the kids have lunch, but as we plowed through the rest of the classes in less than an hour, it was only about 10:00. So we saved lunch for later.
Last class: Homeroom, where they play games. The game of choice today was "Ms. Rhonda Says." Not "Mommy Says" or "Simon Says," in case you thought we could substitute one of those versions. At preschool it's always "Ms. Rhonda Says."
Rachael declared it was the best preschool at home ever. I have new respect for the preschool teachers, and I'm hoping we don't have any snow days next week.






No comments:
Post a Comment