Thursday, May 31, 2012

Food for May

We are getting the whole family in on our resolution this year!

In April Ryan tried guacamole for the first time and decided it was not terrible, so this month we had hamburgers with guacamole for dinner one night.  It's not really a new food for me but it was for Ryan, so I thought I should log that. 

While Grandma & Grandpa were here, Grandma told us about a strawberry banana pie she had tried recently.  It was basically banana cream pie with strawberry pie (glaze and strawberries) on top, so we decided to make that ourselves.
It was good!  I used store bought glaze, which I think is always a little too sweet, so next time I would use Danish Dessert to make the glaze, but otherwise we will probably try this again.

While my dad was here I decided it was time to introduce the family to parsnips.  They have always been one of my dad's favorites.

We had already decided to make chicken fried steak for dinner that day, and Ryan needed the oven set on low to keep the steaks warm after they were cooked, which meant we couldn't roast the parsnips.  I decided to try them mashed with lots of butter and some garlic and onions. Ryan and I both liked them, Rachael decided she wasn't a big fan.  I will try them roasted next time and see if she likes them that way.

Another yummy month!

No comments: