Thursday, May 20, 2010

Grand Opening

Most days we plod along doing the same thing; preschool, ballet, church, grocery shopping, cleaning the house, etc.  Then all of a sudden one day there is something that comes along that changes your life.

That's right, the new Meijer opened today.
(Meijer is a grocery superstore, if you are not from around these parts)

Rachael and I made a trip out of it for our regular grocery shopping this week. If you have never shopped at a grocery store on the day they open, I highly recommend it.  It wasn't busy (because not many people knew it was open), all the shelves were full, and everything was so clean! The produce looked great.  Ah, bliss...

Meijer carries some pretty offbeat stuff in the international aisle, including Ribena, Aero candy bars, and steel cut oats.  I was tempted to buy a bunch of new stuff, but restrained myself when I remembered this store is right here in town and open 24 hours.  (But now I know where to go when I have a hankering for an Aero bar!)  Might need to try some orange Jaffa cakes.  Whatever those are.
 

 We perused the aisles for nearly two hours, then ended the trip with a ride on the penny horse (a staple at all Meijer stores), a cherry Icee, and something from the toy vending machines out front.  Rachael thought it was the single greatest shopping trip ever.  I think she might have been right.

I spent all morning basking in the excitement of a new grocery store and all afternoon wondering if I am a geek for getting so excited about a new store, or just smart for enjoying the little things in life.  Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

No comments: