Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving


We had a nice, quiet Thanksgiving with just ourselves this year. Ryan made stuffing again this year that was very yummy. I fixed mashed potatoes and gravy, rolls, cranberry relish, and a pink fruit salad for Rachael. It was all very yummy!

The best part this year hands down was the turkey, which Ryan and I fixed together. We bought a brine mix from Williams-Sonoma and brined the turkey on Wednesday night. We have done brine before but this was a first with the mix, and it was so tasty! This is also the first year we cooked the turkey without an oven bag. We used Alton Brown's recipe for Roast Turkey and we were both thrilled with the results. It was crispy, juicy, and very delicious.

For dessert I made pumpkin pie. We invited our friends Bishop and Louan over to share pie with us. They are kind of Rachael's Kentucky grandparents - they have one granddaughter, Rachel, who is just a bit older than our Rachael. She lives in Arizona. So they play with our Rachael and have fun with her just like she was a granddaughter, too, which pleases Rachael just fine. Ryan and I are wondering how long before we can leave Rachael overnight with them...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

Lorie said...

Happy Thanksgiving! We miss you!