Monday, May 4, 2009

A New Obsession

Do you read Bakerella? Well, I do. I was totally inspired by these cupcake pops and decided we needed to try them out ourselves.

(image from Bakerella's blog)

I like to try recipes the way they are written the first time, so I know what I would change if did them again. The recipe she has for cake balls calls for red velvet cake and a can of cream cheese frosting, so that's what we did. I would use chocolate the next time, but the red velvet does look really cool. I haven't tried shaping them like cupcakes yet, but I will. Soon.

I stirred my crumbled cake and frosting together in the mixer on low with the whisk and found it worked really well - much easier than stirring by hand.

Here are some of my rolled cake balls. I discovered these were much easier to do after I put the mix in the refrigerator for awhile. I didn't have nearly as much that stuck to my hands.

The final product! Doesn't that look good enough to eat? Dipping is tricky... I can tell it will take a little practice to make them look right. Still. Yum.

Oh yeah - yum!

I accidentally made one that ended up looking a lot like a Tootsie Pop - so then I did a few on purpose. Imagine thinking you were eating a cherry Tootsie Pop only to have it be a cake pop.... at least it's still red!

One problem I discovered... you don't want to dip them when they are still cold. Almost all of them that I did straight from the fridge had little eruptions. Cute, but not really the look I want.

Rachael loves them. I think she would eat them for every snack. Maybe every meal.
Oh yeah - and you don't lick this kind of pop. You bite.

How do I know they are good? Even Ryan likes them - and this batch was made with cream cheese frosting. I think we're on to something here.

1 comment:

Ann Marie said...

Oh yes, I've seen those and she's got so many different cute ones...for every holiday! I've been wanting to try them so I'll have to soon. Yours turned out so cute! Great job! They look so good!