Saturday, January 24, 2009

Hives


Rachael had an allergic reaction to something this week. I still haven't figured out what the "something" is. She started on Tuesday afternoon with a light sprinkling of bumps on her arms and legs, a couple on her face, and a few across her belly. I gave her some Benadryl that night and put her to bed. By Wednesday morning they completely covered her from head to toe. We spent all of Wednesday taking antihistamines and using anti-itch creams.

By Thursday morning most of her body was looking pretty good (although her face was worse, probably because she scratched at it all night) so I went ahead and sent her to preschool. No dice... after about an hour a preschool the director called and said Rachael seemed really uncomfortable. I picked her up (which upset her immensely) and we went to WalMart for more Benadryl. She did get to go back to preschool for a few minutes at the end, which salved the wound of having to leave early. Thursday night she complained about her feet hurting, and when I finally got her socks off late that night I discovered the bottom of her feet were covered with hives. More Aveeno cream.

Friday she was looking much better, so Rachael and I rewarded ourselves for having suffered through a cold last week and the hives this week by spending the day shopping at the mall. She even got a new Build-A-Bear to celebrate (well, and because I had a coupon). Today she looks completely clear!

I will settle for not knowing the cause of the outbreak as long as she never has to have the hives again. And I hope that if it does happen again we figure it out!

1 comment:

Lorie said...

Glad they are clearing up. B had hives a couple years ago & it took forever to get them all gone. We figured out at the time it was due to some cold medicine we had given him - maybe the same for Rach?? Anyway, no fun at all!